Spicy Peanut Noodle Bowl
There is something comforting about a bowl of noodles, coated in a spiced sauce and accompanied by lots of vegetables.
This dish, rather than being brothy like many noodle bowls, has a thicker sauce that clings to the noodles and vegetables.
The sauce is made from a fabulous tasty combination of peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli and a touch of vinegar, all blended together until deliciously creamy and fragrant.
You can use any combination of vegetables that you enjoy. I have used mushrooms, onion, red pepper, broccoli and edamame beans. This makes a perfect combination of flavours and textures.
Edamame beans are young soyabeans. They are often sold frozen either in or out of the pod. The pods are not edible. Edamame beans are an excellent source of plant based protein and are also high in fibre and are rich in magnesium – needed for energy metabolism, electrolyte balance and muscle function. Magnesium also helps to reduce tiredness, maintain healthy teeth and supports the nervous system.
To make the spicy peanut noodle bowl, first the sauce ingredients are blended until smooth and creamy.
The sliced vegetables are sauteed until softened, then the edamame beans are stirred in. The broccoli is steamed.
The noodles are soaked and drained and the chopped peanuts are toasted.
The noodles, vegetables and sauce are combined along with the juice of a lime.
The noodle bowl is ready! Serve with the toasted peanuts, extra soy sauce and lime. Simple!
If you like the sound of this dish, take a look at my Herby Noodle and Peanut Salad recipe.
If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think.
Leave a comment, share the recipe on Facebook or tag a photo on Instagram @plant_powered_pantry
- 125 g Peanut Butter
- 140 ml water
- 2 Cloves garlic Peeled
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 red chilli De-seed if you wish
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Peeled
- 1 Large Red Onion Thinly Sliced
- 200 g Mushrooms Sliced
- 150 g edamame beans Shelled
- 1 Red Pepper Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Head Broccoli Cut into small florets
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Soak the noodles in boiling water until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Toast the chopped peanuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Add the first 8 ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir fry the sliced vegetables in a large hot pan or wok until softened. Add a splash of water if the vegetables start to stick. Stir in the edamame beans.
- Steam the broccoli for a few minutes until just tender. Add to the vegetable pan.
- Add the noodles to the vegetables along with the sauce. Toss and stir over a low heat until combined and warmed through. Add the squeezed juice of one lime. Taste and add a little more soy sauce if you think it needs it.
- Serve in a bowl with some extra lime and soy sauce. Sprinkle with the toasted peanuts. I like to add some chopped red chilli too.